Saturday, March 24, 2007

The Great Unraveling

When George W. Bush became President in 2000, I thought, “If he’s as bad as I think he is, it will all come out.”

Now, six years later, the Bush plan for ruling the country and the world is unraveling. During those six years, an extraordinary amount of damage has occurred.

Throughout Bush’s presidency, I have wondered what’s wrong with him. Here’s my short list of reasons why the Bush administration, and possibly the country, is now heading over a cliff:

1. Bush doesn’t read. At least he doesn’t read history. The book he’s carrying under his arm in the photo left out a chapter on history, which is replete with stories of imperial overreach, wars launched for the wrong reasons in the wrong places at the wrong time, and unlimited greed invariably resulting in failure to "get it all."

2. Bush's Hubris, which is described in part in Hubris: The Inside Story of the Spin, Scandal, and the Selling of the Iraq War, by Michael Isikoff and David Corn.

3. Bush’s religious beliefs. On March 14, Glenn Greenwald, who blogs at Salon.com, wrote The president receives his lessons from his neocon tutors. This is an alarming article. Here’s an excerpt: “The most critical priority is to convince the President to continue to ignore the will of the American people and to maintain full-fledged loyalty to the neoconservative agenda, no matter how unpopular it becomes….To do this, they have convinced the President that he has tapped into a much higher authority than the American people -- namely, God-mandated, objective morality -- and as long as he adheres to that (which is achieved by continuing his militaristic policies in the Middle East, whereby he is fighting Evil and defending Good), God and history will vindicate him….The President…worries less about his 'legacy' than about his standing with the Almighty.”

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good morning, Gail. I had to smile when I read your first quote, "If he's as bad as I think he is, it will all come out." I had the very same thought six years ago and I have been watching US ethics decline in the same six year period.

"...and as long as he adheres to that (which is achieved by continuing his militaristic policies in the Middle East, whereby he is fighting Evil and defending Good), God and history will vindicate him….The President…worries less about his 'legacy' than about his standing with the Almighty.”

This IS the most alarming aspect of the presidency. In my opinion, he BELIEVES himself to be an instrument of God and that he is divinely guided.

I don't know whether you read the "Left Behind Series" written by Timothy LaHaye and Jerry Jenkins (approximately twelve books written about the time between the Rapture and Armageddon--it was/is very popular with the conservative Christian crowd)? In the books there are several characters representing the forces of good and evil in the world. I read the series, and I find it quite interesting that G. Bush most resembles the character of the Anti-Christ, Nicolae Carpathia.

I wish his staunch supporters could see that resemblance--they'd wake up in a heartbeat.

It is to be hoped, Gail, that the worm has turned, and at last we are going to see "The Great Unraveling." Our country will never be the same after it awakens from its six-year nap.

Anonymous said...

In my bathroom, adhered to the wall above my sink in vinyl letters are the words, "BEAUTY IS FOUND IN THE UNRAVELING OF THINGS".

(yes, I love to quote myself)

I'm not certain what kind of beauty we'll find, but maybe a kind of peace.

Cheers!

Tod

Gail Jonas said...

Ann,
My goodness,you read TWELVE books about the "end times?"

I have just one medium-length book, Chris Hedges' "AMERICAN FASCISTS - The Christian Right and the War on America" to wade through after I finish reading and writing a book review on Joe Conasan's "IT CAN HAPPEN HERE."

Harper's Magazine has done an excellent job over the last few years reporting on the influence of the far right evangelicals on not just Bush but Congress as well.

Thanks for your comments.

Gail Jonas said...

Tod,
It's nice to know there's someone else out there who has a quote on his/her bathroom wall above the sink.

The quote on my wall is from Cornel West: We live in a time when it's fashionable to be indifferent to other people's suffering."

I also have a "These Come From Trees" by the roll of toilet paper.

Anonymous said...

At least the firing of the US Attorneys is something people can understand, i.e., that firing prosecutors who are prosecuting criminals is not a good thing. And lying about it gets some of the responsible parties in trouble.

I haven't seen one editorial piece saying the Congress should lay off the attack.

Congress is attacking Gonzales, whose moral blindness in allowing himself to be used by Rove and Bush is clear. But really, it's Rove, Cheney, and Bush operating as a mouth piece, who should all be prosecuted.

Did anyone notice that a condition of the plea bargain by Steve Griles is that he not testify against anyone?

I think the Bush appointees must have to sign in blood to fall on their own swords NO MATTER WHAT.

Janie