Monday, March 05, 2007

IT CAN HAPPEN HERE - by Joe Conason - My first book review and I'd like your help


I’ve decided to write a book review, with the blessings of the editor, Mark LaFlaur,* of Joe Conason’s IT CAN HAPPEN HERE - Authoritarian Peril in the Age of Bush.

This is the first book review I’ve ever written, but if it’s good enough, it will be posted at
OpEdNews.com and perhaps elsewhere.

Want to help me? Read the book and send me your comments by April 15th. I like the idea of asking for your input because it appears that Joe got a lot of help from others. In the book’s Acknowledgments, Joe listed many people who “graciously assisted with advice, research, clippings and miscellaneous requests.” He then added, “This book was informed by the work of many writers,” and listed 92 of them!

Like Joe, I plan to do the challenging work of writing something worth reading, but I’m convinced the book review will be much, much better with your help.

*Mark LaFlaur contacted me by e-mail in 2004 as I scoured the country looking for help with challenging the results of the 2004 Presidential election in Ohio. I had no idea who he was or how he found me, but we’ve stayed in touch. Mark became very involved in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina. With his wife, Janet, he organized LeveesNotWar.org.

In July of 2006, I learned that Mark is the Senior Editor at Thomas Dunne Books because he sent me The Case for Impeachment, by David Lindorff and Barbara Olshansky, as a thank you gift for my citizen activism. I feel very fortunate to know this man.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gail,

I ordered the book, and will send you my comments.

PTH