Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Stamp out postal rate hikes to save small and independent publishers

A few days ago, when I went online to read The Nation, I saw the “stamp” (photo) and responded to the request for action by logging onto Stamp Out the Rate Hikes and added my name to the letter to save small and independent publishers like The Nation.

I agree with Studs Terkel, who in 1994 said, "During these bleak moments when the spirit takes a dip, The Nation acts as a tonic, a bracer, a pick-me-up. And it's non- alcoholic, too." If we experienced “bleak moments” in 1994, they are much bleaker now. We really need The Nation and it needs our help with keeping its mailing costs down.

According to the Stamp Out the Rate Hike website, “Postal regulators have accepted a proposal from media giant Time Warner that would stifle small and independent publishers in America. The plan unfairly burdens smaller publishers with higher postage rates while locking in special privileges for bigger media companies.”

The clincher for me about taking action is that John Nichols*, Washington Correspondent for The Nation, is also on the Board of Directors of FreePress, the organization behind the Stamp Out the Rate Hike.

*John Nichols is The Nation’s Washington correspondent and editorial page editor of the Capital Times in Madison, Wis. He is the author of Against the Beast, Jews for Buchanan and Dick: The Man Who Is President and co-author, with Robert McChesney, of It’s the Media, Stupid, Our Media, Not Theirs, and, most recently, Tragedy & Farce: How the American Media Sell Wars, Spin Elections and Destroy Democracy. My son and I met John on The Nation Cruise in November, 2005. My son and I met John on The Nation cruise in November, 2005.

No comments: