Saturday, December 15, 2007

Impeach Cheney movement gains momentum

Updated below.

This afternoon I wore my “Impeach Cheney?” cap to do my errands on foot in my hometown, Healdsburg. I’ve lived here for forty years, am 67 years old, and have decided that I can wear or do anything I want. *

I was pleasantly surprised by the positive responses from other walkers. I got into quite a conversation with a 30-ish brother and sister, whom I had never met before, who saw my cap and told me they, too, want to see Cheney impeached.

This feedback came at a good time because many of the people I’ve worked with on impeachment became very discouraged this past week when we learned that key Democrats knew that the CIA planned to destroy the torture tapes and did nothing about it. No wonder the Democrats aren’t interested pursuing impeachment against Cheney or Bush; that they are complicit in the illegal destruction of the tapes would inevitably come out.

However, all is not lost. Three Democratic members of the House Judiciary Committee, Wexler, Gutierrez, and Baldwin, are calling for impeach Cheney hearings, well described by Bob Fertik of Democrats.com in an e-mail alert I received yesterday. If you haven’t done so already, I recommend that you read Fertik’s alert, then go to Join Congressman Wexler's Call for Cheney Impeachment Hearings and sign the petition.

It’s up to us to put pressure on the House Judiciary Committee to stop sitting on H. Res. 799, the impeach Cheney resolution introduced by Rep. Dennis Kucinich. It’s never too late to let the Vice President know that he is not above the law.

Update: 36,000 people have signed Wexler's petition in less than 24 hours. Sign here.

*I have the well-known book, When I Am an Old Woman, I Shall Wear Purple. What I say is, “When I grow old, I’ll wear any color I want and tell the truth about what I believe!”

No comments: