Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Poisonous plants: I know more today than I knew yesterday

I spent all day yesterday with my grandchildren, Sophia and Rody James. I’ve been setting up their play area under a large privet tree in my front yard. Thanks to my astute son, Rody, who expressed concern when Rody James popped a privet berry in his mouth, I Googled “privet berries” and learned they are poisonous. Then I checked with the California Poison Control System and learned that it would take more than one berry to cause problems.

Their play area is no longer under the privet tree. My search revealed that other common plants, including several in my yard, are also poisonous. The rule: No plant material in the mouth!

No comments: